Wednesday, January 20, 2016

19: With Me, Waiting

And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God,
and into the patient waiting for Christ.

1 Verily I say unto you my friends, fear not, let your hearts be comforted; yea, rejoice evermore, and in everything give thanks;
2 Waiting patiently on the Lord, for your prayers have entered into the ears of the Lord of Sabaoth, and are recorded with this seal and testament -- the Lord hath sworn and decreed that they shall be granted.

3 Therefore, he giveth this promise unto you, with an immutable covenant that they shall be fulfilled; and all things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name's glory, saith the Lord.


With Me, Waiting

4/9/06

The Lord sits with me, waiting
While I wonder what's ahead
At this train stop for my future
With His peace - my patience fed.

I will not see its coming, though
For He, my sight, has hid
That I may learn to trust in Him
To walk as He may bid.

Others urge me leave this place
"No train is scheduled here"
They cannot see the One who sits
With promise it is near.

And so I sit here watching
As past cares pass me by
And dream of future hopes and joys
And dream of open sky.

For I must stay here waiting
Or the train I'll surely miss
But the Lord sits with me ever, still
To hear that engine's hiss.


Oi. One of the hardest parts of following the Lord's direction is when He wants us to wait. In a gospel that focuses so much on being proactive and productive, to purposely hold a specific position on serious issues is seen as highly negligent. In a goal oriented world where a regularly updated progress report is expected to be available, patiently waiting the Lord's timing is not often recognized for what it is.

Yet any true gardener knows that there are times and seasons important for successful growth. If you plant too soon, the plant may freeze and die before its proper season is here. If too late, it will not have time to grow to maturity. And once planted, you can't expect to pull the plant up and measure the growth of its roots everyday and still manage a strong, healthy plant - the strain would severely damage it.

We are all unique plants with our lives following a seasonal pattern that will not always match the general patterns around us. I have seen this in operation in my own life as well as others I have known. The trick is to live the best you can manage and trust in the personal guidance you receive from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment