Wednesday, April 6, 2016

28: Not Like Others

And were it possible that man could number the particles of the earth, yea, millions of earths like this, it would not be a beginning to the number of thy creations; and thy curtains are stretched out still; and yet thou art there, and thy bosom is there; and also thou art just; thou art merciful and kind forever;


Not Like Others

7/26/07

Only one of many
Watching as numbers surge and swell and decline all around.
Wondering where I fit in.
Many ways I turn I see places where others have made room.
For spaces of time I welcome the welcome,
But I keep watching for the place that is mine.
Few understand this urge for different.
I am not like others.
Others look for any fitting place and then seek to fit their choice.
I seek the place that is mine.
I have learned that to fit the places other seek and see,
The part that is me must be cut away.
Though I have often wondered why I am,
I have just as often discovered the drive to protect what is me.
I do not understand what that is, or why it should be so foreign
That so many shy away from it or attack with scorn in fear.
All I know is that I am not like others.


Understanding this in junior high made life a lot easier for me.  I did not have to feel like I had to fit in, like I needed to fit the patterns of the people around me. As a past bishop once taught, expectations can cause complications if we set them beyond healthy bounds. His point was more that we would find discouragement in failing expectations we could not realistically have achieved under our personal ability to ensure. I think this applies also to our place in the world and society around us. When we accept that we don't have to be like others, we will prove less susceptible to peer-pressure. The one place where I was vulnerable was at home, but in the past years I have learned I don't have to be like them or fit into the place they demanded either. And it feels good to know that I'm original. 

No comments:

Post a Comment