Wednesday, May 11, 2016

32: No Arms


But behold, the Lord hath redeemed my soul from hell; I have beheld his glory,
and am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love.



No Arms

2/6/08

I have no arms to pull me home
No arms to pull me safely in
No place of peace to rest my heart
No endless refuge from the storm.

No arms to shield me from the pain
Or hold away a threatening for
No arms to wipe the tired tears
Or wait for mournful sobs to slow.

I have no arms to claim my own
That wish to hold me ever near
No arms to share a loving warmth
To hold me close to someone dear.

(3/26/12 - 2 Nephi 1:15 - Ensign April '12)
see 'Arms of Love'

For a long time I particularly treasured hugs because it made me feel like if someone was actually willing to touch me then I must not be so horrible as I'd been made to feel. Just as I sought comfort being wrapped in my blanket the day I found my mother dead, I have sensed a security and comfort intimated in being held close by another. I have longed for that feeling to be proven real. It means welcome and acceptance and concern and love and protection and I have craved that reality for so long.

A bit over four years after writing this particular poem, the Lord showed me that while I've not had an actual person filling that role, He has ever been there with His arms stretched out in my need and He has held me close in His care. When I read the words that spoke these thoughts I knew immediately the Lord was answering this poem's prayer. Someday I will also have a husband and a home and a family and I will not only have the arms to hold me close but I will also be able to hold them close as well. In the meantime, I must be content to share what hugs I can with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment