Wednesday, February 10, 2016

21: The Story Inside

Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

1 And now it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words he turned again to the multitude, and did open his mouth unto them again, saying: Verily, verily, I say unto you, Judge not, that ye be not judged.

2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged; and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.


The Story Inside

7/26/06

There is, deep within my soul,
The story that's my own
My dreams, my fear, my hurt, my joy
A story few have known.

This story takes some time to read,
True care, and effort, too
And few there be that care to read
Until the story's through.

Some think that, with passing glance
The story can be read
But glance denies the life within -
The story's truths left dead.

My story has its place in life
It cannot be denied
My life, my heart, my past, beyond
And all that's held inside.

Sometimes my story falls asleep
My dreams, in pain, forgot
But dreams awake when wonder calls
And beckons heart and thought.

In dreams I find my story true
And life, the wonder gives
And this is why, though passed unseen,
Still yet, my story lives.


How often do we think we can judge a book by its cover, or even by its chapter headings? Having studied with a number of English majors who thought they were the smartest people on campus, I have been surprised by the shallowness of judgment so often expressed against various characters that simply didn't fit a personality they would like in real life. I suppose it comes down to charity and empathy. Can you and are you willing to actually care about a person and would you walk a mile in their shoes or would you just criticize their choice of footwear or path or speed or any number of elements that can only truly be judged by the one who has actually walked that path. Thankfully, the Savior's atonement means that He has walked exactly each of our situations so He will never judge unfairly as we are so quick to do ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment