Tuesday, October 27, 2015

8: My Path

37 … but when we undertake to cover our sins, or gratify our pride, our vain ambitions, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.
38 Behold, ere he is aware, he is left unto himself, to kick against the pricks, to persecute the saints, and to fight against God.
39 We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.



My Path

8/31/05

I'm tired of this pain
Tired of fear I have to hide
Tired of sadness and 'reality' saying, 'Get real'.
I'm tired of exhaustion,
Of fear, of nay-saying.
'Reality' isn't yet even real.

Leave me be you who say
That my hopes are all vain
You know not of that which you speak
So leave me this day
Leave me, Tiredness and Pain
Leave me to that which I seek.

My path is my own
Leave me be, let me go
It is My future, My dream, My faith
It is My way, not yours
Though you still will not see
I MUST, and WILL, follow My path.


I find myself chuckling as I read this. What I call my 'sheer stubborn-ness', my refusal to be beaten, is finding voice herein. Part of the difficulties I've had to face and am even still working to overcome is a submissiveness to supposed 'authority' that was used against me at home to control not only what I did but what I thought and felt. If I was told I did such and such for such and such a reason and 'how shameful' I would be horrified for days, even weeks that I could be so… bad. After some time and space from the acting party, i.e. days or weeks, I would finally remember the actual circumstances. It was never the distorted and blackened scenario I had been condemned for. I have made great progress in being able to not only hold onto my own thoughts and feelings in the face of false dictation, but am even beginning to think and feel contrary and even speak contrary to expectation. What's more, I'm also starting to be able to do so without feeling an overwhelming fear that I'm being horrible for doing so.

This has taken many years. It is why I am particularly pleased at what feels to my manipulated psyche as rebellion finding expression so strongly even when I was still actively fighting the weakness I'd been trained to. It was a rare thing to occur. It is both defiance to abusive and dominating home and to temptation I refused to claim enticing to self-destruction. I refused to ruin my life just to try to get a response from people who wouldn't care and would just use it as proof that I was a bad egg. I suppose that is the one element in which I actually am competitive: not with people, but with negative temptation. We choose by our actions where we will go after this life and I will not lose my chances no matter what the devil may think he has to say on the matter. Home may have been the biggest weakness to tempt self-destruct, but I refuse to answer that call. And with years of time and space of separation, the threat level has gone from 99% down to maybe 8%. And it feels so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment